Social media has been around for a while now, and while most of us are ‘social media savvy’, the content on your personal profile compared to business is very different. This means the way you write should be different too.


We’ve put together some of our best advice to help you own your social media content writing for your business.

Sell Less

It might sound counter-intuitive but if your posts are just full of sales messages, people will switch off from your content, unfollow or even block you.


We tend to stick to the 80/20 rule. Making sure 80% of our content is general; industry related news and the other 20% can be sales messages. Social media is a soft sales platform; people are looking to be entertained more than sold to.


Don’t Over-share

One person filling up your news feed gets irritating, and you’re likely to stop following them. The same goes for a business. Keep your posts professional and limit yourself to around 2-3 per day, always keeping in mind the 80/20 rule.


Don’t under-share either!

You don’t have to be posting all the time; the main point is to keep your posts regular. If this means one post a day, you’ll still be maintaining your social presence.


If you don’t think you have enough time for this, try out a free scheduling tool like HootSuite or Buffer. Or you can compare more advanced scheduling tools here.


Keep your content snappy

People today have short attention spans. Long posts won’t engage them. You’re limited to 140 characters on Twitter, but we’d recommend keeping the length down on other platforms too.



There are so many options for posts, you need to experiment and see what works best for your business. This could be a poll, image, video or text asking a question. Don’t forget to reply to any comment as this will increase your engagement levels and could even start a multi-follower conversation!


Have a plan

Having a plan will ultimately help you cut down on the time you spend writing social media posts. We use content planners to keep up to date with any upcoming events, such as Valentine’s Day or any talks we’re giving. This allows you to schedule content in the run up and some sneaky ‘live’ posts while the events going on. You can also give your content a purpose and decide whether you should be posting more sales messaging or increase your 80% content.


Know your audience

Most social platforms now offer reporting, giving you an insight into the people following you. Have a look at these stats and see if the content you’re posting is relevant to your audience.


Making slight changes and experimenting can help you find what’s best for your business.


We hope you’ve found this post helpful. Do you have any tips we haven’t mentioned? We always love to hear feedback and advice from our readers, so please let us know in the comments.

Digital Marketing Summit Southampton 2017

Make sure you register for our VIP subscription list to get special updates, discounted ticket alerts for Digital Marketing Summit in Southampton and many more.